I had terrific Thai Style Steamed Fish when I visited this street-side stall in Kampung Baru with my friend.
This street stall just on the side road inside Kampung Baru. I can’t even remember the name.
So the stall hired a Thai cook, and the food is fantastic from Thai Style Steamed Fish With Lime, tom yam seafood, mango salad and many more.
Even when I almost broke in my younger day, I still will go to this stall.
It was amazing, but that was many years ago, and I’m not sure whether the stall is still around.
Alright, so let us make this fantastic Thai Style Steamed Fish With Lime.
Thai Style Steamed Fish With Lime
500g Sea Bass or Siakap
50g minced garlic
3 bird eyes chilli, chopped
20g coriander leaves, half chopped and leave some for garnishing
1/2 tsp salt
1 Maggi Chicken Stock Cube
3 tsp fish sauce
1-2 tbsp lime juice
1 tsp white sugar
1 tsp grated palm sugar
1. Make sure your fish is scaled and gutted, and then score the fish with 2 diagonal incisions on each side of the fish.
2. Before we do anything else, I like to season the whole fish with 1/2 tsp salt.
3. Cut off the top halves of the lemongrass and smash with the back of your knife to release the aroma.
4. Stuff the lemongrass into the belly of the fish.
5. Steam the fish over rapidly boiling water for about 10 – 15 minutes, depending on your fish’s size. Mine takes about 14 minutes.
6.Test doneness by lifting the middle and thickest part of the flesh up with a fork, and it should come off the bone quickly.
7. While the fish steams, let’s make the sauce in a saucepan, heat 300ml water.
8. I’m adding one Maggi chicken stock cubes and 1 tsp grated palm sugar. Let it dissolved completely.
9. Then, add 3 tsp fish sauce, 1 tsp white sugar and 1 -2 tbsp lime juice.
10. Once the taste is correct, add 50g minced garlic and chopped bird eyes chilli or chilli padi.
11. Once the steamed fish is cooked, throw away the excess water.
12. Just before pouring the sauce, add the chopped coriander. Mix it well.
13. Now, you can pour the sauce onto the steamed fish.
14. Garnish with coriander and fresh lime.
15. Serve this while it’s still hot and warm.