For me personally, I think making Sweet Potato Tong Sui ( 番薯糖水) is so much easier and faster actually. The key to making an outstanding Sweet Potato Tong Sui is buying the freshest Sweet Potatoes in the market. Choose the one that not so dry, have a flat texture and look fresh. I bought these sweet potatoes for RM4.00 for about 700g and it’s enough for 4 of us.
Another important tip is to cook the sago separately. I used to cook it together and it becomes starchy and too dense. If you cook the Sago separately, the starch will be wash away and the soup is nice to drink.
Just cook the Sago in boiling water for two minutes, cover and let it sit for at least 10-15 mins. And you’ll have about 90% cooked Sago. Leave the 10% to the ginger soup to cook it up. Cooking the Sago no need to be too hasty, follow my way and you’ll have your sago cook in no time. This is actually my mom tip!
700g Sweet Potatoes ( Purple and Orange Color)
60g Ginger, crushed
2 Pandan Leaves, Knotted
140g Brown Sugar in small piece/block or Rock Sugar片糖
To Cook Sago:
1. In a pot, add 1.50-liter water, 2 knotted pandan leaves & crushed ginger. Let’s the water boiling. Then, add 140g Brown Sugar in small piece. Cook for about 10mins over medium heat.
2. In another small pot, add 600ml water. Let’s the water comes to a boil.
3. Add 100g Sago to the small pot. Remove any dirty bits or small black pieces from the sago.
4. Reduce the heat to lower medium heat. Cooks for 2 minutes. Uncover.
5. After 2 minutes, cover the pot and switch off the heat. Let’s the Sago in the pot for at least 10 mins.
6. After 10 mins, sieve and wash Sago under running water. Transfer to a bowl. Put aside.
7. Peel the sweet potatoes. Cut off any woody part and ends.
8. Cut the orange sweet potatoes into a big chunk pieces, and directly transfer the orange sweet potatoes to the boiling water with ginger syrup. Cook for 10 mins.
9. Then, cut and add the purple sweet potatoes to the syrup. Purple sweet potatoes cooking time is fast, don’t put it in too early.
10. Cook for another 10 mins also or until both orange and purple sweet potatoes are cooked.
11. Add the cooked sago and cook for another 5 mins.
12. Now the Sweet Potato Soup/Tong Sui is ready to serve. Serve while it hot.