Everyone will have dozens of food that bring back lots of memories in their life. For me, Onde Onde is one of them.
Onde-Onde or Ondeh-ondeh, some even call Buah Melaka such a simple yet memorable dessert for me and my family.
Onde Onde are make from glutinous rice ball with Pandan (screw pine) leaves flavour, filled with palm sugar and coated with freshly grated coconut flesh. Ohh… just imagine and writing this make me drooling inside out.
Once a while, I will definitely be craving for this and because of making this is so simple yet some seller is failing, I usually will make my own Onde Onde.
I think my mom used to make this a lot for us. I love the original pandan juice, it so fragrant and with the combination of palm sugar and grated coconut, it is perfect match in heaven.
I hate it when seller replace the pandan juice with some artificial coloring. It ruins the Onde Onde People!
I love to have it when it warm and the melted palm sugar just burst and melted in my mouth. Oh, so delicious, sweet and I think I love this more than chocolate! Yeah, my true confession.
So, without further ado, let me show you the recipe and hope you will enjoy it.
Don’t forget to check out my video on this recipe too, just click the above video!
Natural Pandan Extract: ( only 100ml will be used, keep balance for later)
80g pandan leaves
1. Chop 100g palm sugar.
2. Cut 80g pandan leaves into small pieces
3. Add pandan leaves to blender with 200ml of water
4. Blend until fine consistency.
5. Pour it into a cloth strainer/cheesecloth, squeeze out the pandan extract and set aside.
6. In a mixing bowl, add 100g glutinous rice flour together with 15g tapioca flour and salt.
7.Slowly knead in 100ml of pandan extract. Knead dough till smooth.
8. Add water when necessary. The dough should be slightly sticky.
9. Divide dough into 15g portions each and roll them into small balls.
10. Press a dent into the center of the ball and fill palm sugar in the center and seal it up, roll into a ball.
11.Bring a pot of water to boil.
12. Drop them into boiling water pot and used a spatula move the ball around for a second. Just to prevent sticking to the pot.
13. When they start to float cook for another 2 mins, take out and slightly touch the ball. It should be soft, not hard.
14.Remove rice balls and coat with fresh grated coconut.
15. Serve while it hot.