Back in the days, I love to have Kuih Seri Muka as my Breakfast. I always have a soft spot for Kuih Seri Muka; I don’t know why.
Maybe I love the combination of steamed glutinous rice infused with coconut milk and the pandan flavor of coconut custard.
That’s my kind of Malaysian Breakfast!
Nowadays, the excellent quality of Kuih Seri Muka, it’s tough to find. I’ll stumble upon tough glutinous rice with less coconut flavor or a flavorless pandan custard.
It’s just not right.
I decided to make my Kuih Seri Muka yesterday. And I could say, I’m quite satisfied with the result.
If you’re interested in getting the Kuih Seri Muka Recipe, check out the Kuih Seri Muka Recipe below.
And good luck!
Kuih Seri Muka Recipe
Yield : 2-3 persons
Ingredients for lower level ( Glutinous Rice):
200g Glutinous rice
250ml coconut milk (liquid/cair)
1/2 tbsp fine sugar
1 tsp salt or until you can taste a little saltiness. Then you stop.
1 Pandan leaves, knotted
Ingredients for upper level (A):
4 x pandan leaves, cut into small pieces
1/4 + 1/8 cup water
* Blend until you get 1/4 cup pandan essence
Ingredients for upper level (B):
190ml Thick Coconut milk, ( if use coconut milk in a box, combined 150ml box coconut milk with 40ml water)
90g-100g fine sugar ( I prefer 90g, not too sweet)
60g All purpose flour ( tepung gandum)
2.50 eggs size A
1/2 tsp salt
1-2 drop of green food coloring
Ingredients A, 1/4 cup of pandan essence
- Combined the lower level ingredients (glutinous rice), mixed well and steam in pressure cooker for 30 mins (manual mode). I put a rack, steaming bowl and 2 cups of water inside the pressure cooker.
- Blend ingredients A and sieve. Only take the liquid.Blend until you get 1/4 cup pandan essence
- Combine ingredients B and A in a blender.
- Meanwhile, I’m using a small cake tin. Size 6 inches. Line with round baking paper and some oil.
- Once the glutinous rice cook, take out and using spoon loosen the glutinous rice before transfer to the cake tin.
- Press down hard and level the glutinous rice with spatula.
- Pour in the blended ingredients on top.
- Wrap a kitchen towel around a small plate and cover the cake tin. ( So that you get a smooth kuih)
- Same thing like earlier, put a rack, and 2 cups of water inside the pressure cooker for steaming.
- Steam in the pressure cooker for 30 mins (manual mode).
- Once toothpick comes out clean, then it’s cooked.
- Let it chill first before cut. ( I know this is the hard part)
- When cut, make sure put some oil around ur knife for easy cutting.
That’s all for this recipe, hope you guys enjoy Kuih Seri Muka Recipe like i did.
Tip: If you don’t have any pressure cooker, you can steam the kuih seri muka on a stove. It will take a longer time but it worthy!