As usual, lunch is challenging for me; I need something fast and full. I worked from home, and my job requires me to be busy during lunch hour. While, salad usually is not something I would consider as my lunch menu, but I make an exception for this one.
Nigella Lawson’s recipe inspired these chickpeas and spiced cauliflower salad. It is different from your regular salad, and it makes you full for a long time. The tomatoes almost ooze into dressing in the oven, and the cauliflower softens, but not soggily.
This recipe is vegetarian and healthy, and on top, it has this strong cumin and cayenne to spice up the salad. That is why I love it! And I think you will too.
And, welcome to July 2016 and don’t forget to be more amazing ya!
CHICKPEAS & SPICED CAULIFLOWER SALAD
1 small head cauliflower ( About 500gram)
4 tablespoons regular olive oil
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
½ teaspoon cayenne powder
255 grams home-cooked chickpeas (or drained weight of can chickpeas)
2 tablespoons Chili Bean Sauce ( Brand : Lee Kum Kee)
4 small ripe vine tomatoes
some salt to taste
2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
a handful fresh flatleaf parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 220ºC /gas mark 7/425ºF.
2. Trim the cauliflower and divide into small florets. Clean and wash.
a.3 tablespoons regular olive oil into a large bowl
b.Add the ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper and 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
c.Stir or whisk to help the spices disperse.
4. Tip in the prepared cauliflower and toss to coat.
5. Pour the contents of the bowl into a small oven tray and place in the oven for 15 minutes.
6. Using the same bowl add the chickpeas to this bowl, and add the 2 tablespoons Chili Bean Sauce, tasting it first to see if you want both tablespoonfuls, and toss to coat.
7. Quarter the 4 small ripe tomatoes and add them to the bowl, and shake or stir to mix.
8. When the cauliflower has had its 15 minutes, remove the tray.
9.Quickly tip the chickpeas and tomatoes over the cauliflower, and add another 1 tbsp olive oil. Toss to combine before returning to the oven for a further 15 minutes until the cauliflower is tender.
10. When it’s ready, remove from the oven and sprinkle some salt ( optional) over the vegetables.
11. Serve the vegetable on plate with parsley leaves and sprinkle with pomegranate seeds.