Personally, I felt making Char Siu Bao requires a lot of work. And I’m okay with it if I have plenty of time to spare. But, that is not the case most of the days.
When I want something like char siu bao and a quick fix, I will turn to this ridiculously easy and fast version of Char Siu Bread or sandwich.
If you like me, need something fast to whip in the morning or even for lunch, I think this is one of the recipes you should keep.
If you don’t have any char siu lying around in the fridge, you can make one ( which takes longer) or use fresh pork instead.
It will not make such a big difference, but you might need to cook it longer.
Okay, so that’s about it; I hope you like and will try the recipe
CHAR SIU BREAD OR SANDWICH
( Using Gardenia or Sliced Bread )
Serves: 4 sets ( 8 slices)
8 slices Gardenia Bread
CHAR SIU FILING:
2 tbsp finely diced onion
1 garlic cloves, finely chopped
200g Chinese BBQ pork (char siu), cut into small dice
1/4 cup char siu sauce
1/2 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tbsp white sugar
1 tbsp cornflour mixed with 2 tbsp water
Some sesame seed
- Heat the 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil in a frying pan.
- Throw in the diced onion and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes or until softened.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, 200g Chinese BBQ pork, 1/4 cup char siu sauce,1/2 tbsp soy sauce,1/2 tbsp white sugar and 50ml water.
- Mix well and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Give a quick taste test.
- Then stir through the cornflour mixture.
- Simmer for a further minute or until the filling is very thick.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl.
- Drizzle with some sesame seed and mix well.
- On a serving plate, place a slice of white bread.
- Spread the char siu filling evenly.
- Use another piece of bread to cover on top, and slice it into halves. Enjoy!