stumbled this recipe month ago and ever since that I make it for several times. Like any other home cooker, I love to try a new recipe and this recipe is unique and most importantly it is so easy to make.
I love the combination of fish sauce and lemongrass, it’s just brilliant! I think Vietnamese knows better than us. It their stuff.
So, without further ado, here is the recipe. Hope you like it!
Vietnamese Lemongrass Chicken
500 gram 4 chicken thighs, boneless, skin on
1 stalk of lemongrass (using only bottom white part)
5-6 cloves garlic
2 Red Cili Padi/ Thai Chili
2 tbsp cooking oil
For the Sauce:
2 tbsp fish sauce
2 tbsp sugar
¼ tsp black pepper
To serve with:
1.Cut chicken thighs in bite size and set aside.
2.Peel 1st and 2nd layer of lemongrass, thinly slice and finely chop it. It is important to finely chop the lemongrass. Set aside.
3.Chop garlic and cili padi.
4.Thinly slice the onion.
5.In a mixing bowl, add all the sauce ingredients. Mixed well.
6. Heat a wok over high heat and add oil.
7. Add chicken, skin side down and cook for 4-5 mins without touching it. Let the chicken cook until golden brown and crispy.
8. Turn it over and cook for another 1-2 mins or until chicken cooked.
9. Turn off heat and put the chicken on a plate.
10. Remove excess oil and leave about 2 tbsp of oil.
11. Heat up the wok again. Add Lemongrass, garlic, chilies and onion. Stir fry for about 1-2 mins.
12.Add the cook chicken to the wok and add the sauce we made earlier, stir fry until sauce has thicken. About 1 mins also. Remove from heat.
13. Serve with warm cooked rice, sliced cucumber and some fresh cilantro.