One of the vegetables that always in my fridge on weekly basis, will be bitter gourd or bitter melon. While, I know some people might not like it because of the bitterness but if you know how to handle it, the bitter gourd will not be too bitter after cooking. Check out my video to know how to reduce the bitterness of bitter gourd.
I have a few bitter gourd recipe such as Stir-fry bitter gourd chicken with black bean, bitter gourd with egg, bitter gourd soup and lots more. I just realized I didn’t share any of my bitter gourd recipes yet. So, this is my first bitter gourd recipe, Stir fry bitter gourd chicken with black bean. I hope you will like it.
Stir fry bitter gourd chicken with black bean | stir fry bitter gourd | stir fry bitter gourd recipe | stir fry bitter gourd with chicken recipe
Yield: 2-3 pax
300g bitter gourd
1 tbsp dried salted black bean
2pcs Chili Padi/ Thai’s chili
450g chicken meat ( 2 wings + 1 breast)
6 cloves garlic
2 tbsp cooking oil
2 tsp salt
Cornstarch slurry :
1 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp water
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1/2 tbsp black/dark sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce
Marinate chicken with:-
2 tsp oyster sauce
1 tsp Shao Xing wine
1/4 tsp baking soda
1. Cut off both tips of the bitter gourd and then cut it half lengthwise.
2. Scrape out all the seeds and as much of the pith as you can with a metal spoon.
3. Then cut it into slices ( about 1/2 cm thick) and put it into a big bowl.
4. Add 2 tsp salt into the bitter gourd and gently toss up a few times. Add water until cover the bitter gourd and set aside. Soak for about 30mins.
5. Drain and wash a few times before use the bitter gourd.
6. Soak 1 tbsp black bean with hot water and leave for about 30mins.
7. After 30 mins, drain and chop the black beans.
8. Thinly slice ginger and Chili Padi/ Thai’s chili.
9. Cut out the chicken wings into 3 parts, drumette, tip and wingette.
10. For chicken breast cut into big cubes.
11. In a bowl separate wings and breast. Marinate chicken breast with 1/4 baking soda. Massage the chicken breast for a few seconds.
12. In a bowl, add 2 tsp oyster sauce and 1 tsp Shao xing wine to marinate. Mix well. Marinate until use.
13. Combine the sauce in a bowl and mix well.
14. Smash and mince the garlic.
15. Heat up a pan and add 2 tbsp cooking oil.
16. Throw in minced garlic, stir-fry for 30 seconds. Then, adding ginger slices. Continue stir fry for another 30 seconds.
17. Add chicken meat and stir-fry until become slightly brown.
18. Add combined sauce and bitter gourd. Mix well.
19. Add 150ml water and chopped black beans. Stir evenly.
20. Cover the pan and reduce to low medium heat. Let’s the chicken and bitter gourd cook for about 5 mins or until the bitter gourd is softened and chicken is fully cooked.
21. Meanwhile, combine 1 tbsp cornstarch and water. Stir well.
22. Pour the cornstarch slurry and give a quick stir.
23. Add chili padi and switch off the heat.
24. The Stir-fry bitter gourd chicken with black bean is ready to eat.
Don’t forget to serve it with warm and fluffy white or brown rice!
P.S. Wanna keep in touch? Follow me on Facebook, Youtube, and Instagram to stay up to date with my posts!
Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/luveenalee/
Youtube : https://www.youtube.com/c/luveenalee