Singapore Chilli Crab is probably the most famous of all crab dishes in Singapore. You can’t leave Singapore without eating it.
Singapore Chilli crab is luxurious, rich, spicy and so so satisfying. Traditionally, the dish is served with steamed buns, steamed rice or even crusty bread.
To be honest; usually, I did not cook crab at home even though I love to eat them. It’s just too messy to handle before and after cooking. But, it too long now and I guess it is good to bring back the crabs in my kitchen.
It is essential to use live crab for this dish, but if you can’t find it where you are, you will have to settle with frozen crabs, but the taste and texture might differ from the fresh crab.
This dish is so easy to re-create at home, and I promise you the Chilli Crab is absolutely mouthwatering and delicious. You’ll thank me later.
Singapore Chilli Crab Recipe
Serves: 3-4 person
2 Crabs, about 750gram
5 tbsp Ketchup
3 tbsp Sugar
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Taucheo (fermented bean paste)
5 tbsp Oil
1 cup Water
2 eggs, beaten
6 shallots, sliced
8 garlic, sliced
5 red chillies, cut into small pieces
13 dried chillies (soak in hot water and cut into small pieces, discard the seed)
2 stalk lemongrass, take the white part and sliced thinly
3 Thai’s chilli (Cili padi) , sliced
6 candle nuts , cut into small pieces
2 slices galangal,sliced
1 green lime juice
2 tbsp Belacan, toast in the pan until aroma comes out.
Chopped spring Onion
A handful coriander
1. Clean & remove gills of the crabs.
2. Cut them into quarters.
3. Get ready all the grind ingredients and grind until smooth.Put aside
4. Heat up a wok and add 5 tbsp oil.
5. Stir fry the ground paste until fragrant,
5. Add 1 tsp taucheo, 3 tbsp sugar, 1/2 tsp salt & 5 tbsp ketchup.
6. Add crabs & stir fry for 1-2 mins.
7. Add 1 cup of water and cover the wok. Maybe around 7-10mins. When the crabs cooked, it turns a bright colour.
Tips: If the crabs don’t cook and the sauce dry out, you can add a little water and cover for another few mins.
8. Once the crabs cooked, add 2 beaten eggs. Mix well. Sauce become thicken and it’s done.
9. Garnish with spring onions and coriander.
10. Serve with warm and fluffy rice. Traditionally, it’s pairing with fried mantou.
P.S. Wanna keep in touch? Follow me on Facebook, Youtube, Twitter and Instagram to stay up to date with my posts!
Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/luveenalee8/
Youtube : https://www.youtube.com/c/luveenalee
Twitter : https://twitter.com/luveenalee