Those days, when i was in school I love to go to fruits stall and bought a few packet of cut fruits like pineapple or rose apple and dipped it with this sweet and spicy dipping sauce. The taste, heaven! However,I’ll try my best to avoid mishap with this dripping sauce while wearing my school uniform, because it can be one worst nightmare to remove it at school.
Rose Apple or Jambu Air, we called it here are no longer common fruit in my neighbourhood. We used to have a neighbourhood with Rose Apple trees. Sometimes, when in season owner are not able to finish their Rose Apple and they are giving it out for free. That will be my lucky day!
Nowadays, whenever i saw Rose apple selling in the supermarket, i just opt to buy it. Just something that i have to grab when i saw the fresh and flushed pink fruit.The texture is crisp, almost crunchy when the fruit is ripe and freshly picked.
So, here you go the recipe. A simple and easy recipe and hope you like it!
Rose Apple or Jambu Air With Sweet Spicy Dipping Sauce
4-5 Rose Apple ( Jambu Air)
2 tbsp Sugar
2 Red bird’s eye chillies (sliced)
1/2 tbsp shrimp paste
3 tsp Soy sauce
1/2 tsp dark sauce
1. Clean and cut the Rose Apple in 4. Remove the top part and the core.
2. Over the stove, slightly burn the shrimp paste to bring out the flavour.
3. In a small bowl, add 2 tbsp of sugar and add the shrimp paste.
4. Slice the chillies.Add to the bowl.
Tips: Reduce to 1 bird’s eyes chilli if you prefer less heat.
5. Add 1/2 tsp dark soy and 3 tsp soy sauce
Tips : Add 1 tbsp of hot water if prefer watery consistency.
6. Smash the Shrimp paste with fork and mix well.
Served immediately ! Enjoy!