Pad Thai is essentially a stir-fry and requires little more than chopping and stirring. It comes together in less than a half-hour. With a little bit of prep work and a dash of know-how, it can be and should be made at home.
When I was last in Thailand, I went back for the pad Thai noodle because the noodle is amazing and it wasn’t until just before I left that, i realised how easy to make this.
So, here I am, sharing the most famous Pad Thai recipe from my home kitchen to you.
Hope you enjoy it!
How To Make Pad Thai l Pad Thai Recipe
35 grams palm sugar, finely chopped
1/4 cup tamarind concentrate (see note)
2 Tbsp fish sauce
3 Tbsp water
120 gram of dry rice noodles
8-10 Frozen Prawns / Fresh Prawn ( Peeled and Deveined)
1 small head shallot, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 Tbsp dried shrimp, chopped
1 pc fried tofu or pressed tofu, cut into small pieces
½ tsp of chili flakes
¼ cup of chopped sweet preserved daikon radish
2.5 cups bean sprouts
1 cup garlic chives (Kucai), cut into 2” pieces
¼ cup chopped roasted peanuts
2 tbsp cooking oil
Different brands of tamarind concentrate/ juice might vary in acidity and taste. So you may need to adjust this amount. Make sure it is not too sour.
1. To cook the noodle, follow the packaging instruction. Mine stated, in a boiling water cook noodle for 3 mins. Drain and remove. If your dried rice noodle did not come with packaging instruction, you could soak the rice noodles in room temperature water for 1 hour or until the noodles turn from translucent to completely white.
2. Heat 2 Tbsp of oil over high heat in a wok/pan. When the pan is hot, add the prawn. Remove and set aside.
3. In the same pan, add shallots, garlic, daikon radish, dried shrimp, chili flakes (optional, if you like the heat, u can add in) and some peanut. Cook until the garlic starts to brown.
4. Add the noodles and stir for a couple of mins.
5. Add the sauce, and keep stirring and tossing until the noodles have absorbed all the sauce. Once the noodles are dried out, check the noodles consistency. If they are still chewy, add some water. And let the noodle cook for another few mins.
6. When all the sauce has been absorbed, push the noodles to one side of the pan and add the eggs. Let’s the egg cook for half way through before flips and scramble.
7. Add the bean sprouts and garlic chives. Cook for 1 min. Turn off the heat and toss just to mix.
8. Plate the noodles, top with the shrimp and sprinkle over the remaining peanuts. Serve with a piece of lime, extra bean sprouts, garlic chives, and chili flakes.
Make sure you squeeze that lime over the noodles before you enjoy!