On those lazy and gloomy day, I like to have a good and delicious fried rice.
There was a time when the money was tight in our family, and we had to eat fried rice and porridge most of the day.
I don’t complain, though, because the fried rice in my home was really good, especially when is cook by my sister.
One important rule of cooking a good fried rice and this rule is non-negotiable, using overnight rice. Never use rice that just cooks, it will be mushy and too wet.
Fried rice is so easy to make, just involve a little bit of chopping and cooking. It can be done within less than 30mins.
The best part about fried rice is you can use any vegetable that you like as long as you chopped it smaller and any meat of your choice. It’s really versatile.
So, this is my way of making fried rice. Hope you’ll enjoy it!
How To Make Fried Rice Chinese Style | Easy Fried Rice Recipe
450g overnight rice
60g Long Beans, chopped
1/2 carrot, cut into small cubes
2 stalks Spring Onion, chopped
2 tbsp Minced Garlic
5 Tbsp Cooking Oil
2-3 tbsp water
1/2 tsp salt or to taste
1/2 tsp ground white pepper
1 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp dark soy sauce
Marinate chicken for 30 mins:
1 boneless chicken thigh, cut into small pieces
1 tsp oyster sauce
Marinate prawns for 30 mins:
6-7 prawns, remove shell and devein
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp sugar
some ground white pepper
chopped spring onion
Some fried shallots
1. Cut boneless chicken thigh into small pieces and marinate with 1 tsp oyster sauce.
2. Remove shell and devein prawns. Marinate with 1/2 tsp sesame oil, 1/2 tsp sugar, and some ground white pepper.
3. Using wet fingers, separate any lumps in overnight rice.
4. Chopped 60g long beans.
5. Cut 1/2 carrot into small cubes.
6. Chopped spring onions. Left 1/2 tsp for garnishing later.
7. Chopped 2 tbsp garlic.
8. Crack 2 eggs and beating it.
9. Heat up a wok over medium heat and add 3 tbsp cooking oil.
10. Pour beaten eggs. When it start to set, moving them around gently with spatula. Cook for further 10 seconds and remove from wok.
11. Using same wok. Add 2 tbsp oil.
12. Add marinated prawns. Cook the prawns for a couple of minutes and remove from wok.
13. Using the same wok and on high heat, add 1 tbsp oil.
14. Add minced garlic. Stir fry until fragrant, about 1-2mins.
15. Put in marinate chicken, let the chicken cook for 2-3 mins.
16. Add carrot and continue stir fry for 1-2 mins.
17. Add long beans. Occasionally, add 1-2 tbsp water to steam up the vegetable. So, that it cooks faster.
18. Then, put in the rice. And mix well.
19. Before add seasoning, lower down the heat. Add seasoning, 1/2 tsp salt or to taste, 1/2 tsp ground white pepper, 1 tbsp soy sauce and 1/2 tsp dark soy sauce.
20. Increase to high heat and continue cooking. Add prawns, spring onions and eggs. Cook for another 1-2 min.
21. Serve with chopped spring onion and fried shallot.