It’s raining outside, and I’m missing this deep fried oyster mushroom so much. Usually, mom will do it for us and within seconds everything squeaky clean.
This Deep Fried Oyster Mushroom is so crunchy and delicious. I think I beat my mom on this recipe, just because I put my secret ingredients Chinese 5-spice powder and Shaoxing wine.
Hopefully, you will enjoy this recipe.
Deep Fried Oyster Mushroom
200g oyster mushroom
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup rice flour
1 cup iced cold water
1 tbsp Shaoxing wine
a dash or two of Chinese 5-spice powder
1/2 tsp salt
a few dashes of white pepper powder
enough cooking oil for deep frying
1. Clean the oyster mushroom by rising and squeeze out excess water.
Tip : Better do ahead of time and let it air dry.
2. Add both the flours into a big, deep bowl and add in the 5-spice powder, salt, and white pepper powder. Mix in the Shaoxing wine next.
3. Add the water slowly and whisk lightly to mix well. Keep stirring gently until a smooth batter is obtained.
4. Heat up the wok with the cooking oil on high heat. Make sure that the oil is well heated before the frying begins.
Tip: Have it tested with a wooden chopstick. If a stream of tiny bubbles forms around the chopstick when dipped into the oil, the oil is ready. Give a moment more otherwise.
5. Once well heated, turn the heat down to medium. Working one at a time, dip the mushroom into the batter and swirl lightly to coat evenly.
6. Let any excess batter drip off before transferring it into the hot oil. Repeat with the rest of the mushrooms.
Tip: Keep in mind not to overcrowd the wok at any time.
7. When it starts browning on the bottom, flip them over and let fry until it browns evenly on the whole.
8. Once nicely crisped up and looking golden in color, remove from oil and drain well on a paper towel.
Serve with any chili sauce or hot sauce.