Chinese Roast Pork Recipe
Char Siu or Char Siew is a famous dish among the Chinese community. Char Siu is a roast pork that using char siu sauce to marinate overnight or at least 4 hours. This sauce is delicious, and you can use it on chicken, pork or even tofu.
In Malaysia, if you’re living in Chinese area, Char Siu is easy to access anywhere. Normally, we will have it for lunch. I do prefer to make my homemade Char siu.
1. Because it is too easy to make
2. It tastes much better when homemade.
I used to stop eating pork for a couple of years. But, I always miss that sweet and savoury char siu. So, today I’m going to teach how to make this simple and easy dish.
Don’t forget to watch the video on top!
CHAR SIU (CHAR SIEW) RECIPE
Yield: 4-5 person
1kg pork shoulder or pork belly ( without skin)
2 tbsp honey + 1 tbsp water
Char Siu Sauce Ingredients:
1/2 tbsp honey
1/2 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp rice wine
1 tbsp hoi sin sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
1/2 tbsp ground white pepper
3 tbsp brown sugar
a pinch garlic powder
100 ml water
Some Sesame seed
Some spring onion
How To Make Char Siu Sauce
1. Mixed all in a cup.
2. Add the mixture to a pan and heat on the pan.
3. Add some water, just to let the sugar dissolve.
4. Cook until thicken and remove.
5. Make sure the sauce is cool down before use for marinate
Method: Char Siu
1. Clean and Rinse Pork Meat.
2. Marinate with 5 tbsp Char Siu Sauce.
3. Marinate overnight or at least 4 hours and keep in the fridge.
4. Next day, remove from fridge. Keep the marinade.
5. Preheat Oven 180c for 10 mins.
6. Roast Pork Meat for about 20 mins 180C.
7. After 20 mins, take out and use the marinade to brush on pork.
8. Continue, roast for another 20 mins 180C.
9. Take out from the oven. Brush honey mixture over pork.
10. Roast for another 5-10 mins 180C.
11. Remove from oven and let it cool down before slice.
12. Slice the pork meat and serve with warm rice.
13. Garnish with some sesame seed and spring onion.